With farming you can get food ( or wood ) for your dwarfs
- The worker must be able to reach the plants they cannot walk through other plants
- You have to place an Fertilization Stone on a fertile soil block, to appoint workers to it, then press the "+" on the Fertilization Stone
- Worker Speed ( Tech 2 ) - Increases your workers speed.
- Genetic Engineering ( Tech 3 ) - Gives acces to better plants.
- Fertilization Stone Upgrade ( Tech 3) - Increases the number of workers each fertilization stone can employ. (Up to 6 max - default 3)
- Advanced Agriculture ( Tech 4) - Improves the cycles of plants greatly.
Trees, mushrooms and patches with plants each providing their own amount of food
The plants automatically renew as long as you have enough resources ( depending on what the plant costed in the first place )
When considering how to build your Dwarves economy, remember this:
- Dwarflings eat more food than any other class
- All idle dwarves eat food more often (Military dwarves assigned to an outpost are NOT considered idle)
- More workers assigned to a Fertilization Stone = faster harvesting of crops
The trick to building a strong farm economy is to balence the amount of crops versus population versus reseed costs.
Remember that some crops have an upkeep of wood instead of wealth. If you have a lot of wood being generated and you dont use it all, it may be better to use these plants, such as carrots or radishes.
As your population increases, if you dont have multiple farms, it may be better to upgrade the quality of your crops to ones that yield more food. (Displayed by the tiny x# in the top right of the pictures)